The Population Reference Bureau (PRB) is currently accepting applications for its Women’s Edition West Africa program. Women’s Edition brings together senior-level women journalists–editors, reporters, and producers–for weeklong seminars to examine topics related to women’s and girls’ reproductive health and development. The West Africa seminar will take place in Dakar, Senegal, and will focus on the engagement of religious leaders across the region in promoting reproductive health and wellness in their communities.
Women’s Edition offers a unique opportunity to become part of an international network of leading women journalists interested in women’s health and development. PRB will select 12 women journalists from across West Africa to participate in the Dakar seminar, to be held in May 2019. Successful participants from this group will be invited to another seminar on a different reproductive health topic in 2020 and may be eligible for reporting grants to fund in-depth coverage of health news.
At the Dakar seminar, journalists will engage in sessions with health and development experts who will explain reproductive health successes and challenges, participate in editorial meetings to develop strategies for covering these issues from a policy perspective, and join site visits to see work in action.
Women’s Edition is funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and is conducted by seasoned PRB trainers who have been organizing Women’s Edition activities for many years.
What is expected?
After the seminar, Women’s Edition journalists must produce an in-depth special report, series of stories, or broadcast program on the issues covered for their media house. The seven or eight journalists who produce the best reports will be invited to participate in subsequent seminars and study tours in 2020 to delve further into reproductive health, population, and development issues.
Who should apply?
Intrepid women journalists who:
· Report from any country in West Africa.
· Hold an influential editorial position–senior-level editor, reporter, or producer–with a leading media outlet that has a large audience, such as national and regional newspapers, magazines, and television and radio stations. Freelancers and bloggers may apply but must provide a letter of support from a news organization indicating that their work will be published or broadcast.
· Demonstrate interest in health, development, and population issues and a commitment to covering these topics.
· Communicate comfortably and effectively in English during the seminars, though they may write or broadcast in any language.
PRB will cover all seminar expenses, including travel, lodging, and meals.
Applications must be received at PRB by Friday, March 22. Successful participants will be notified by March 29. Those selected will be asked to submit a letter from their managing editor or director in support of their participation in Women’s Edition. Participation includes commitments to:
· Participate in the weeklong seminar.
· Publish or produce at least one special report, a series of articles, or broadcast programs after each seminar on the issues explored in the seminar.
· Send to PRB copies of each report, series of articles, or broadcast program immediately after its publication or broadcast.
How to apply
Complete this form through PRB’s online submission portal. For your application, you will need to provide:
· Basic personal information and links to your social media pages.
· Your current CV.
· A statement of interest.
· A description of an important reproductive health topic in your country.
· Two examples of your best work.
· Two references.
If you have any questions about applying, please contact email@example.com